Can I File a Lawsuit Against Camp Lejeune as A Result of the Water Contamination There?

The water contamination victims at Camp Lejeune may be eligible to initiate a lawsuit seeking compensation for their suffering. You may need to consult an experienced attorney if you have reason to believe that your sickness or health complications are the consequence of contamination of water and that you satisfy the qualification standards. You will need proof showing that you were a resident or worked at the base during the defined period to file a Camp Lejeune lawsuit.

What You Need to Know Before Taking Legal Action

The casualties or their surviving family members are given a stringent deadline of two years to file a compensation claim. Your attorney will do most of the paperwork for your case, but there are steps you may take to increase the likelihood of an early settlement.  You can obtain certified copies of the relevant legal records that attest to your employment or residence at Camp Lejeune between 1953 and 1987.

It should not be too difficult, given former Marines have easy access to their military service records, which they can use as evidence of residency or employment in the area.  Equally, civilians can verify their work eligibility by requesting a copy of their Social Security records. Each claimant must go through the JAG’s administrative claim process, which can take up to six months, before filing a lawsuit.

You will also need to collect your hospital records to support your case.  That will assist in establishing a connection between your sickness and water contamination. The VA has been keeping all of its patients’ medical records for years, so it is not too difficult to get ahold of them if necessary.  If you have been seeing a private doctor, you may have trouble obtaining a copy of your medical history.

A competent attorney can assist you in locating and obtaining your records from any place to improve your case and the likelihood of a favorable settlement.  He or she will examine the particulars of your situation to see if you qualify to file a lawsuit.

In addition, a competent attorney can research similar cases and review their outcomes, giving you a leg up while you pursue compensation for your losses.  Experienced lawyers in these types of lawsuits, such as those at Riddle & Brantley in North Carolina, typically operate on a contingency fee basis, which means they get paid only if they secure a favorable verdict or settlement for their client.

The amount of compensation a court might award to the victim varies.  As per some attorneys, veterans who have their disability claims validated by the VA and receive a rating of 100% are eligible to receive an average of $3,000.

Bottom Line

If you’re a victim and you were harmed by drinking the toxic water, you may file for compensation.  In addition to gathering evidence and pertinent documents, you should consider enlisting the services of an attorney to assist you in the pending legal action. A good lawyer will be able to assist you in gathering the necessary documentation and calculating your losses so that you have a solid case to present in court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *